Best Natural Face Wash: Top 10 to Choose Today
If you struggle with acne-prone skin, oily skin, or dry skin, odds are you use face wash every morning. However, unless you are already very conscious about what you put on your body, you may not know the dangers that lurk within your products. Many commercial products, including face wash, contain chemicals and substances that actually pose a threat to your health and the quality of your body. More and more people are realizing the dangers that are contained within certain products and are turning to natural alternatives.
Well, here is one more to add to your list: natural face wash. These are able to clean your face and give you the same cleansing as the regular brands but with none of the risks. The best natural face wash products may even be better for you in the long run, even though they may be a bit more expensive up front. Nevertheless, you get what you pay for, and this will help you choose the best natural face wash for you and your unique skin.
Here is the Best Natural Face Wash to choose from.
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 rated Best Natural Face Wash options. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub
4.5 out of 5
Foxbrim Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser
4.4 out of 5
Alaffia - Purely Coconut Face Wash
4.4 out of 5
Insta Natural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser
4.5 out of 5
Christina Moss Naturals Facial Wash
4.3 out of 5
Desert Essence Thoroughly Face Wash
4.3 out of 5
Era Organics Natural Moisturizing Face Wash
4.2 out of 5
OZNaturals Facial Cleanser
4.8 out of 5
Dr. Woods Shea Vision Black Soap Facial Cleanser with Organic Shea Butter
4.4 out of 5
TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser
4.5 out of 5
Top 10 Best Natural Face Washes of 2018
- Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub
- Foxbrim Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser
- Alaffia - Purely Coconut Face Wash
- Insta Natural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser
- Christina Moss Naturals Facial Wash
- Desert Essence Thoroughly Face Wash
- Era Organics Natural Moisturizing Face Wash
- OZNaturals Facial Cleanser
- Dr. Woods Shea Vision Black Soap Facial Cleanser with Organic Shea Butter
- TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser
What Is Natural Face Wash?
Natural face wash is pretty much like any other natural product. It is just like a regular facial cleanser, but natural face washes do not have any of the chemicals or added ingredients you would find in drugstore brands. Instead, these products use all-natural ingredients like plant extracts, mineral extracts, and essential oils to get the job done. I might add that they do a better job. We will go over all of the different ingredients you may find and which ones to avoid soon.
Why Do You Need It?
You are probably wondering why you need a natural face wash. Actually, why would you need face wash at all? Well, face wash is a big part of many people’s morning routine for a few different reasons. The biggest is to reduce the effects of acne or breakouts. You know those little zits you get in the pores of your nose, cheeks, chin, and anywhere else? Yeah, washing your face with a special natural cleanser will help get rid of those and also keep them away. Rinsing with warm water is not enough. However, many regular face washes have ingredients that can work in the opposite way you want them too. Some can actually make you break out even more, which is no bueno. Then there are some ingredients that can severely dry out your skin, which you do not want either.
However, the best natural face washes use only ingredients that will help your skin be the best it can be. These ingredients can help moisturize, while also cleaning out your pores without leaving any buildup or removing the skin’s natural oils. Ingredients like coconut oil can actually strengthen the underlying epidermal tissue and remove dead skin cells softly. The ingredients included in the best natural face wash have countless benefits that you can take advantage of and give your face the wash it has been craving. Not to mention, the best natural face wash products offer the same options as regular products. You may wonder which ingredients you should look for in a facial cleanser, and which you should avoid? Don't worry, we'll get there.
Best Face Wash Natural Ingredients
There are a lot of ingredients that end up on the ingredients list for the best natural face wash products. Many of these you will often find in other products as well. All of these ingredients have countless benefits for your body and are used in such a way that allows their most useful properties to come out and shine in the best natural face wash. These 10 natural ingredients are the ones companies most commonly use in their natural products and facial cleansers.
- Coconut Oil: This is one of the most versatile skin, and food, ingredients out there. Its benefits include strengthening underlying epidermal tissue, removing dead skin cells, protecting the skin from the sun, and containing antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and antioxidant properties. Research has even shown that coconut oil is strong enough to fight chronic skin diseases.
- Tea Tree Oil: This has been used for hundreds of years in Australia to fight breakouts, redness, and inflammation of the skin. Tea tree oil has been used for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal properties mostly. Its phytochemicals make it one of the most versatile and popular natural skin care essential oils that exists.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: One of the most inexpensive ingredients for skin care, among other uses, is apple cider vinegar. It has nearly infinite uses. It has been used to help kill pathogens like bacteria, clearing skin problems caused by gut issues, cleansing the skin, and helping to stop acne, plus providing anti-fungal properties. It also contains highly beneficial acetic acid and certain vitamins like potassium and magnesium that make it a detoxifying agent when consumed internally.
- Raw Honey: By far, honey is one of the best natural sources of nutrients, enzymes, vitamins, and skin-boosting acids. The benefits include reducing breakouts, providing moisture, containing antiseptic qualities, encouraging wound healing, fighting allergies or rashes, and helping to reduce scars. The beauty of honey is that it can be used in a mixture or just by itself. Simply take half a teaspoon, warm between hands, and spread on your face gently. Leave it there for about 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Sea Salt: This stuff comes loaded with tons of minerals and nutrients like magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium. Many of the minerals found here are the same ones found in our skin cells and in our bodies, which is why real sea salt can help balance, protect, and restore the skin. Along with containing tons of minerals, sea salt also contains anti-inflammatory properties, removes dead skin cells and irritation, balances oil production, and helps the skin retain moisture levels.
- Avocado: Yup, it has a lot more uses than just for you to put on toast. The various benefits include containing vitamins A, D, and E that penetrate the skin. It can also help soothe sunburned skin and boost collagen production, as well as treat age spots. Not to mention, it helps to reduce inflammation of the skin whether you use it as a cream or if you eat it.
- Argan Oil: You probably have seen this ingredient in hair products. Well, it is also great for your face. This is because it is very rich in vitamin A and E, various antioxidants, omega-6 fatty acids, and linoleic acid. It can help heal irritations such as acne, bug bites, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Aloe Vera: Of course, you probably know of the healing and soothing effects aloe vera has for sunburns, but it also contains bacteria fighting, soothing ingredients that fight inflammation, redness, and itching. This awesome plant has more than 75 potentially active ingredients including anti-inflammatories, vitamins, minerals, saccharides, amino acids, fatty acids, enzymes, lignin, and salicylic acids.
- Jojoba Oil: This is one of the most widely used carrier oils. Jojoba oil is extremely moisturizing and can help heal burns, sores, scars, dermatitis, acne psoriasis, and wrinkles. You can also use it to reduce balding because it encourages hair regrowth, soothes skin, and unclogs hair follicles.
- Shea Butter: You have probably used this as a moisturizer already, but it also has other properties. For dry skin types, it can help moisturize and reduce flaking, redness, and peeling.
Harmful Ingredients in Face Wash
Unsurprisingly, shampoos, lotions, hair products, makeups, and many more products contain the same toxic ingredients. Each of these has been shown to cause various health concerns, from skin irritation to different forms of cancer. These ingredients can be absorbed into your skin and ultimately into your bloodstream, where they can wreak havoc on your body.
- SLS: It causes skin irritation, canker sores, eye damage, and possibly acne as well. It also disrupts the skin's natural oil balance.
- BHA: This chemical causes skin depigmentation, liver damage, and stomach cancers. It also interferes with the development of the reproductive system, as well as disrupts thyroid hormone levels.
- Triclosan: It causes hormonal disruption, bacterial resistance, and increased allergies, as well as impaired muscle function and immune function.
- Parabens: They can disrupt the endocrine system and cause reproductive and developmental disorders.
- Polyethylene/PEGs: This chemical is a skin irritant.
- Petroleum Distillates: It is produced in oil refineries at the same time as car fuel, heating oil, and chemical feedback. It can also cause dermatitis.
- Retinyl Palmitate and Related Chemicals: They can become carcinogenic in sunlight.
- Hydroquinone: This is a skin bleaching chemical that can cause a skin disease called ochronosis.
There are many others as well, and the list goes on and on. Our advice is that anything that is fairly hard to pronounce and even remotely sounds like something not natural should be avoided.
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Natural Face Wash
Since not that many people are very familiar with the best natural face wash products, it may be difficult to navigate through all the fake and synthetic products to get to the good ones. Again, that is what we are here for. There are certain things that you should keep in mind and things that you can look for when shopping for the best natural face wash.
Read the Labels
Many brands will advertise that their skin cleanser is all natural, but actually still use many of the chemicals listed above. The best thing to start doing is turning the product over and reading the label on the back. There, it will give you a total list of ingredients and you can see for yourself what is inside. You may be surprised what you may find there. Many brands will also use some natural ingredients like oils and creams, but they will also add chemicals as well. Do not be fooled. If you want the best natural face wash, it has to be all natural.
Know Your Skin Type
There are typically four different skin types that cleansers are made for: dry skin, oily skin, acne, and normal skin. Knowing which you have is very important because getting the wrong product will just be counter-productive. If you struggle with dry skin, get a face wash that specializes in retaining moisture. Are you acne prone? Get a face wash designed to help with breakouts. If you have sensitive skin, you have to pay attention to which facial cleansers irritate your skin. It all depends on what you have issues with.
To Exfoliate or Not Exfoliate
Exfoliating can be a great activity for you, but not always. Again, it is all about skin type. Many natural face washes will have natural exfoliant ingredients that will get rid of those dead skin cells for you, without having to take the additional exfoliate steps. Plus, exfoliating may actually damage your skin if you have very sensitive skin, and you definitely do not want that.
Balance is Key
You may end up trying and testing out a bunch of different natural products before you find the best one for you, and that is totally fine! If your face wash is not strong enough, it will not give you a deep enough clean, leaving buildup on top of the skin. On the other hand, if it is too strong, you may find that it leaves a rash or redness on your face. Be like Goldilocks; you have to find the one that is just right. Do not be afraid to explore and get creative. No harm, no foul.
Benefits of Natural Face Wash
This should be old news by now but in case it is not, natural face wash is highly beneficial. Unlike regular facial cleansers that may leave a buildup on your face or may even make the problem worse, the best natural face wash products only leave good things on your face.
The ingredients that are used in the best natural face wash have so many great properties that go far beyond just washing your face. Many a natural cleanser will have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits that will prevent future breakouts and reduce redness and inflammation. Others have moisturizing properties that will continuously keep your face moisturized even after you rinse the face wash off. The benefits are countless and give you a lasting satisfaction that regular cleansers simply cannot do.
The best natural face wash is out there for you. However, it is impossible for us to tell you exactly which one is the best. It all has to do with your unique, beautiful face. Whether you struggle with dry skin, oily skin, or acne-prone skin, there is a face wash out there that you will find perfect for you. These natural facial cleansers have so many benefits that go well past just washing. So why not take advantage of them? It is what the earth intended, so you might as well use the stuff that comes naturally. If you want to learn more about how to stay green and healthy, check out the rest Green and Growing has to offer.