Best Organic Shampoo- Our Top 10 Choices for You
Organic products are becoming increasingly popular, and it seems that almost every product has an organic counterpart. The same goes for the best organic shampoo. Regular shampoo and conditioner can actually be very damaging to your hair, but organic shampoo can be the solution. It is obvious how organic food is made, but how can you make something like shampoo organic? In many regular shampoos and other hair care products, there are chemicals that are actually damaging to hair, regardless of what the bottle says. Some of the chemicals have damaging properties that harm your locks. A common ingredient in many brands of shampoo and conditioner, sodium lauryl sulfate, is known to cause cataracts in adults and improper eye development in children. There are many other harsh chemicals in shampoos and hair care products that you need to be aware of.
The biggest difference between standard and organic shampoos and conditioners is basically synthetic vs. natural. While standard shampoos use synthetic chemicals in the production, organic shampoo uses natural ingredients and essential oils. We have checked out all of the claims and chose our top 10 best organic shampoo options for you.
After potentially damaging your hair for too long... Here are the Best Organic Shampoo Options.
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 Best Organic Shampoo. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Tree to Tub organic shampoo
4.3 out of 5
PURE Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
5.0 out of 5
4.1 out of 5
Nature's Gate Replenishing Shampoo
4.0 out of 5
Majestic Pure Argan Oil Organic Shampoo
4.2 out of 5
JASON Natural Cosmetics Dandruff Relief Shampoo
3.8 out of 5
Christina Moss Naturals organic shampoo
4.2 out of 5
Avalon Organics Shampoo
4.0 out of 5
Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
4.2 out of 5
Alba Botanica Organic Shampoo
3.8 out of 5
Top 10 Best Organic Shampoos
- Tree to Tub Organic Shampoo
- Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Avalon Organics Shampoo
- Majestic Pure Argan Oil Organic Shampoo
- Alba Botanica Organic Shampoo
- Nature's Gate Replenishing Shampoo
- PURE Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Om Botanical Organic
- JASON Natural Cosmetics Dandruff Relief Shampoo
What Is Organic Shampoo?
Basically, like any other organic product, organic shampoo do not use any synthetic ingredients. Instead, they focus on using completely natural ingredients like oils and plant extracts to give you the same effects that commercial shampoos do. In addition, there are many things included in commercial shampoos that are really not so great for your hair. Some can even cause hair loss, which is the exact opposite of what you want from shampoo.
Some of these bad ingredients that are in regular shampoos are as follows.
- Sodium Chloride: This is also known as salt, which is used as a thickening agent. It can cause a dry and itchy scalp, as well as hair loss.
- Polyethylene Glycol: This is another thickening agent that strips the hair and skin of their natural moisture.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA): These can cause scalp irritation and allergic reactions. They can also damage nutrients in your hair like keratin, which gives you dry hair and a dry scalp. This makes your hair brittle and susceptible to breakage.
- Parabens: Companies use these to prolong the product’s shelf life. They can irritate the skin and affect your hormonal balance, causing hair loss.
- Formaldehyde: Excessive amounts can cause hair loss.
- Alcohol: This can dry out your hair.
- Parfum: Synthetic fragrances can cause scalp irritation.
- Synthetic Colors: Companies add them to make the shampoo color look appealing, but it can cause skin sensitivity and scalp irritation.
- Propylene Glycol: This ingredient keeps the product from freezing during shipment. It can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. (This product is also known as antifreeze.)
- Dimethicone: This ingredient coats the surface of the skin and hair to lock in moisture. It also acts as a smoothing and texturizing agent. There are many reports of people who react very badly to this chemical. Some of the reports are skin and scalp irritation, rashes, burning, and itching. Some reports also show skin acne.
- Coal Tar: The International Agency for Research on Cancer recognizes this ingredient as a carcinogen. It is more common in dandruff and psoriasis shampoos.
Organic shampoos do not use any of these and replace them with quality organic ingredients to make up for them. In fact, many of the organic ingredients function better than the chemical ingredients.
Types of Organic Shampoos
While all shampoo is based on the same goal, which are providing a clean head, some shampoos are better for different types of hair. Whether you have thin hair, thick hair, colored hair, oily hair, or whatever, there is an organic shampoo that can cater to your specific hair type. When shopping for the best organic shampoo, there are a few different styles of shampoo you will find. The main types are shampoo for frizzy or curly hair, colored hair, dry or sensitive hair, oily hair, and damaged hair.
Each of these has a specific natural ingredient that can help with your hair type. For example, cocoa butter and vitamin B5 have great hydrating benefits that can give curly hair the moisture it craves. Coconut water, keratin, and marula oil are great for protecting against dryness and damaged hair. Aloe Vera, rosewater and vitamin E are perfect for easing irritation, itchiness, and discomfort that often comes with dry hair. To help keep oil down in your hair, properties of lime, lemon, orange, basil, rosemary, and juniper are there to help moderate the levels of oil. There are many more natural shampoo ingredients that have properties which are perfect for taking good care of your hair without any adverse effects.
When you are shopping for the best organic shampoo, knowing the different types that are available will be a big help. If you end up trying a bunch of different ones, that is fine. I did that before I found the right one for me. Many people will already know what kind of hair they have and what works best, but if you need to experiment with a few different kinds, go for it my dude/dudette.
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Organic Shampoo
To be sure that you pick up the absolute best organic shampoo possible, there are a few things that you should first think about. Here are some things that you should consider when looking for the best organic shampoo.
Organic shampoos are everywhere nowadays, and even some regular products are claiming to be organic. How can you tell? Well, the easy answer is to look at the ingredients listed on the back. There are some organic shampoos that still use certain ingredients like propylene glycol. If you want your shampoo and other shower products to be completely, 100 percent natural shampoo, you better check the ingredients list to make sure.
A lot of people do not know what the ingredients do, as the back of the label does not say anything. So here are some things that you should avoid when shopping for the best organic shampoo. If you see "fragrance" in the list, odds are that "fragrance" contains phthalates. These chemicals have been shown to disrupt hormones in humans, along with links to cancer and ADHD. Best to stay clear of that.
Another ingredient to look for is preservatives. These are meant to prolong shelf-life, but many preservatives contain parabens or benzyl alcohol. The latter of the two is a possible carcinogen and actual neurotoxin. However, there are some natural preservatives, which are fine.
Lastly, be on the lookout for sulfates. Many organic shampoos will say sulfate-free but still contain other harsh chemicals. Sulfates can irritate the skin, leave hair brittle and stripped of moisture, and also fade dyed hair color much faster. Basically, it does the opposite of what you want from a shampoo. If any of the shampoos you are looking at contain these or any of the others ingredients mentioned above, steer clear.
Read Labels Carefully
Many brands will try to trick you with fancy labels and a lot of graphics. However, when you read deeper into the labels, you will find that many of their claims fall flat. There are some things that you should watch for to know that you are really getting the best organic shampoo for you. Here is an easy warning: anything that you cannot pronounce easily, stay away from.
Two very easy things to look for in the best organic shampoos are essential oils or natural plant extracts. These are both key ingredients in organic shampoos and both have natural hair care properties. They also do not leave you with any bad side effects like potential hair loss. Also, if your shampoo has the USDA organic badge or a certified organic badge, you are good to go.
Find a Trusted Brand
There are many brands that all claim to be the best organic shampoo, but it is hard to find a good, trustworthy brand. A trusted organic shampoo brand will have products that do exactly what they claim. It is best to do some research into the brand to see if their products are truly organic and natural. You would also do well to look at other consumer reviews. Consumer reviews are a great way to tell if the product really does what it says it will do. Check the overall rating and if it has any negative reviews. You should also check to see if it was just the person or the brand's fault. Research is always your friend.
Ingredients in Organic Shampoos
- Aloe vera hydrates, heals and soothes.
- Argan oil promotes healthy hair growth and moisturizes.
- Coconut oil hydrates and adds shine. It can also fight infection.
- Tea Tree oil gets rid of dead skin cells. Tea tree oil also acts as an antiseptic and stimulates healthy hair growth.
- Rosemary cleans out dead skin from the scalp and stimulates circulation.
- Jojoba oil imitates the body’s own natural oils to slow excess production and cut grease.
- Lavender is antiseptic and antifungal. It also heals and calms the skin.
- Keratin smooths the rough cuticles of hair shafts
- Panthenol or vitamin B5 helps bind moisture to the hair and makes it look and feel thicker.
Common Features of the Best Organic Shampoo
From checking out all of the best organic shampoo options out there, we have found some features that are reoccurring in many of them. Here are some features you should look for in the best organic shampoo.
Common Questions Surrounding Organic Shampoo
If you are confused about organic shampoo and the ingredients that make them up, do not feel bad. You are not alone. Here are the most commonly asked questions from other consumers.
1. If the brand does not carry the USDA Organic badge, is it still organic?
This one can be tricky. Many brands, while they do not carry the badge, still ensure that at most of their ingredients are really organic. It is best to do some research into the brand to know for certain. There are some ingredients that are necessary for shower products that are not natural or organic. However, many of the harmful chemicals are not necessary. For many companies, it is just easy to acquire and cheap to use, hence their use in their shower products and many other products.
2. How can I tell what ingredients are best for my hair?
Do some research or trust the brand. Many brands will make organic shampoo for specific hair types, such as frizzy hair or color treated hair. You can look up what natural ingredients are best for your specific type of hair and find them in a shampoo.
3. Are organic shampoos expensive?
Unfortunately, organic shampoos do tend to be a bit more expensive than regular, commercial brands. This is because many of the organic brands are small companies using local farmers. In order to actually make a profit, they need to have their brands to be a little more expensive than the regular brands. However, with that price, you are giving yourself a quality product, as well as helping a small business. So that's good!
Why Organic Shampoo Is Awesome
Organic shampoo is the best stuff possible for your hair. Here is why.
- No Toxic Chemicals: All of the best organic shampoo options out there contain absolutely no toxic or harmful chemicals. These include sulfates, sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, phthalates, or anything else that is hard to pronounce.
- Natural Properties: Many plants and other natural oils have been shown to have natural hair treatment properties. For example, argan oil is extremely beneficial for providing strength for your hair. Many plant extracts also have vitamins included that are awesome for keeping hair soft and healthy.
- Eco-friendly: A lot of organic shampoo brands also do their best to keep their products as eco-friendly as possible. Some keep their bottles BPA free, and others help fight against pollution or deforestation. You can rest assured that you are contributing to environmental protection.
Here are some articles that answer the most popular questions about organic shampoo and the organic world.
- MULTI-SURFACE USE: Safe to use on all floor types including...
- 50% MORE DIRT PICKUP: Microfiber cleaning pad picks up 50%...
- WON'T HARM SURFACES: Non-scratch scrubber for stubborn spots
- ADVANCED AIR CLEANING TECH: Combines a HEPA-13 filter that...
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Filters up to 630 SQFT per hour, and...
- AUTO MODE: Automatically senses the air quality and adjusts...
- Can provide hot water for one sink at 0.5 GPM in warmer...
- Requires 1 x 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG wire
- For one sink at 0.5 GPM in colder climates the POU 6 is...
This has been the best organic shampoo options with Green and Growing. By now, you should understand why commercial brands can be hazardous, the importance of beneficial ingredients in organic shampoos, and everything else in between. Be sure to read up on our individual reviews for our top 10 best organic shampoo options available to you on Amazon.com. For more information, check out the rest of Green and Growing.
Last update on 2021-07-16 at 15:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API