15 Great Organic Shampoo Options: DIY Shampoo and Why You Need It
Organic products are becoming increasingly popular. It seems that almost every product has an organic counterpart. The same goes for shampoo. Regular shampoo can actually be very damaging to your hair. Organic shampoo can be the solution. It is obvious how organic food is made, but how can you make something like shampoo organic? Why is it better than regular shampoo? Many things go into organic shampoo and other organic hygiene products. You can even make your own shampoo!
The biggest difference between standard and organic shampoos and conditioners is basically synthetic vs. natural. Standard shampoos use synthetic chemicals in the production. Organic shampoo use natural ingredients and oils. Some of the best organic shampoo use these ingredients.
- Aloe Vera- Hydrates, heals and soothes.
- Argan Oil– promotes hair growth and moisturizes.
- Coconut Oil- Hydrates and adds shine. It can also fight infection.
- Tea Tree Oil- This gets rid of dead skin cells. It also acts as an antiseptic, as well as stimulates healthy hair growth.
- Rosemary- Cleans out dead skin from the scalp and stimulates circulation.
- Jojoba Oil- Imitates the body’s own natural oil to slow excess production. Also cuts grease.
- Lavender- Antiseptic, antifungal. Also heals and calms the skin.
- Keratin- Smooths the rough cuticles of hair shafts
- Panthenol or Vitamin B5- Helps bind moisture to the hair and makes it look and feel thicker.
Brands of Organic Shampoo
There are numerous brands that have organic and natural shampoo. They can also be found at any grocery store if you know what to look for. Brands like OGX are actually featured right next to big shampoo brands like Panteen and Fructis. The others you can find in their own specific section. Here are some great brands to look for.
- Tree to Tub Organic Soapberry Shampoo- Soapberry has been used for years for its anti-inflamatory properties. This shampoo is hypo-allergenic and ultra gentle. It heals damaged strands of hair and gets rid of dandruff with olive leaf, gotu, kola, and chamomile. It also protects natural oils and strengthens hair by featuring a balanced pH.
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Shampoo- With a blend of raw, organic shea butter, sea kelp and argan oil, it aids in moisture retention. It also smooths and softens dry, brittle and damaged hair.
- Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo- This shampoo helps with getting rid of grease and build-up from other hair products. Its ingredients include: botanical keratin, rosemary, provitamin B5, lemon, cypress, and basil. Promoting scalp circulation. Leaves your hair smooth, frizz free and strong. It also helps to get rid of itchy scalp, dandruff, and germs.
- Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo- This organic shampoo uses lemon tea tree oil, lemon peel extract, and organic maca root extract. It helps to dissolve excess oils and strengthen your hair.
- Pure Body Naturals Argan Oil Hair Regrowth Therapy Shampoo- Since hair loss is a big issue with men, many shampoos have been made to fight against that. This specific shampoo uses an herbal formula of biotin niacin and other botanical extracts to promote healthy hair growth. It also includes: argan oil, B vitamin complex, nettles extract, saw palmetto, He Shou Wu (Fo-Ti) and other natural ingredients. These are proven to help with hair loss.
- Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo- Argan oil is a must have for hair loss remedies and hair repair. They incorporate Moroccan argan oil, aloe vera, white willow bark, burdock root, rosemary, and thyme. Used to stimulate cell renewal and healthy hair growth.
- Onira Organics- Featuring Tahitian ginger extract, wheat proteins, Calendula flower extracts, pracaxi oil, peppermint water and aloe vera. This shampoo helps to protect, regenerate and repair broken hair strands among other things.
- Rahua Classics- Made with 100% organic and natural ingredients, featuring rahua nut oil. This fortifies weak and damaged hair and nourishes the scalp and hair follicles.
- John Masters Organics Honey and Hibiscus Hair Reconstructing Shampoo- John Masters Organics have a wide range of shampoos, conditioners, and other products. All featuring natural and organic ingredients. This specific is made for fortifying the hair shaft and repairing the damage. The ingredients include honey, hibiscus, soy, rice, and oat proteins.
- Laritelle Fertile Roots Organic Shampoo- This shampoo can make your hair soft and shiny. Its ingredients include organic oils like argan and jojoba, which also shield it from environmental damage. It also comes in a BPA-free bottle.
- The Seaweed Bath Co. Balancing Eucalyptus and Peppermint Argan Shampoo- This, as it is plain to see, is a very invigorating shampoo. The peppermint and eucalyptus also act as aroma therapy while the argan oil helps give the hair the proper oils. Giving your hair a shiny and healthy look.
- Acure Volume Shampoo- Acure uses Echinacea stem cells in this specific shampoo. Helping give your hair a thick and high volume look. With the addition of mint essential oil to give a fresh aromatherapy.
- Christina Moss Natural Organic Shampoo- For curly to color treated hair, this shampoo is great for any hair type. It is made with organic coconut and olive oils. They help to provide a lot of moisture for your hair. In addition, it is also hypoallergenic and easy on sensitive skin.
- Fresh Monster Kids Shampoo and Body Wash- This company provides peace of mind when it comes to your children. Their shampoo is made 100% toxin free. This means no sulfates, parabens, phthalates, dyes, synthetics, BPA, gluten or soy. Safe for sensitive skin and is affordable, which is always great when shopping for kids. Their shampoo and body wash is made with all-natural botanical and fruit extracts. As well as all natural fragrances.
- PhytoWorx Organic Hair Recovery Shampoo- Using rare plant stem cells, combined with tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary oils. The plant stem cells and essential oils have been shown to greatly improve hair loss.
Organix Hair organic shampoo and conditioners are among the more popular organic shampoos. They are featured in almost every grocery store (Wal-Mart, Giant, Target, etc.) Even in the same section as the other standard brands. They make a specific shampoo and conditioner for all styles of hair or for what you want out of your hair.
Do you need to heal your hair? Get the Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo. Need hydration for your dry hair? Look no further than Hydrating TeaTree Mint Shampoo with milk protein and peppermint oils. How about thick and voluminous hair? Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is there to give you what you need with vitamin B7 biotin, collagen and hydrolyzed wheat protein.
All of their ingredients are organic and completely sulfate and paraben free. They have an extremely wide selection of shampoos and conditioners using exotic extracts and oils including coconut water, milk and oils, cherry blossom and ginseng, acai berry and avocado, cucumber and yogurt, sea minerals, lavender and soymilk, passionfruit and guava, awapuhi ginger and MANY more.
DIY Organic Shampoo
One of the biggest downsides to most organic shampoos is the price. Many of the big brands can sell their products cheaper because they are of course a bigger company. Many organic shampoos producers are much smaller. Therefore they have to hike up their prices so they can actually make a profit. However, there is something you can do in your own home if you want to save some money. In the new and exciting world of DIY (Do It Yourself) there are many recipes for making your own organic shampoo.
Two very basic shampoo recipes require very few ingredients. The first one is just a basic shampoo. This can be made with: ½ cup of water, ½ cup of mild liquid soap (Castile-style vegetable soap) and ½ teaspoon of light vegetable or canola oil. This will make 8 ounces of the shampoo and just increase the measurements to make more. The second recipe is an Olive Oil Shampoo. The only difference in this recipe from the last is adding a ¼ cup of olive oil instead of the vegetable oil. This one will give you 12 ounces. You can also add your own favorite essential oils to give it a fragrance and add aromatherapy properties same as store bought products.
More Recipes and Tricks
Other recipes can include a few more ingredients. One recipe is made using 2 teaspoons of avocado oil, ⅛ teaspoon of peppermint essential oil and tea tree essential oil, 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin, and 10-15 drops of essential oils. These will give you a more aromatic shampoo, like of that you would buy at a store. Most homemade shampoos will just give you a basic clean but will not do much to give you the extra features of other actual branded shampoos. Therefore, there are still some things you can do to help with various hair issues.
- Aloe Vera can be rubbed into the ends of damp hair to give it extra moisture. In addition, it also works as a mild hair gel and combs out easily without leaving a lot of build up.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is great as a natural hair rinse. It helps to remove buildup from some shampoos.
- Eggs are very beneficial for your hair. It is good for treating dry and frizzy hair and helps to bind oil and lock in nutrients. A good recipe is to mix 2 egg yolks with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar. Use in the shower as a conditioner.
- Using lemon and rosemary as a rinse can help restore a natural balance of oil and color to your hair.
Toxic Shampoo Ingredients
In many regular shampoos and other hair products, there are chemicals that are actually damaging to hair. Regardless of what the bottle says. Some of the chemicals have damaging properties that exceed your locks. A common ingredient in many shampoos and conditioners, Sodium lauryl sulfate. It is known to cause cataracts in adults and improper eye development in children. There is actually many other chemicals in shampoos that you need to be aware of.
- Sodium Chloride- AKA salt, is used as a thickening agent. It can cause a dry and itchy scalp as well as hair loss.
- Polyethelyne Glycol- Another thickening agent, strips hair and skin of natural moisture.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA)- These can cause scalp irritation and allergic reactions. They can also damage nutrients in your hair like keratin. Making your hair dry and brittle.
- Parabens- These are to prolong the shelf life. They can irritate the skin in addition to affecting your hormonal balance causing hair loss.
- Formaldehyde- Excessive amounts can cause hair loss.
- Alcohol- Can dry out your hair.
- Parfum- Or synthetic fragrance, can cause scalp irritation.
- Synthetic Colors- Added to make the shampoo color look appealing. Consequently, this can cause skin sensitivity and scalp irritation.
- Propylene Glycol- Used to keep the product from freezing during shipment. Due to that, it can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Also known as antifreeze.
- Dimethicone- Used to coat the surface of skin and hair to lock in moisture. Also, acts as a smoothing and texturizing agent. There are many reports of people who react very badly to this chemical. Some of the reports are skin and scalp irritation, rashes, burning, and itching. Some reports also show skin acne.
- Coal Tar- Recognized as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Used in dandruff and psoriasis shampoos.
Keep Your Hair Clean and Healthy
Many people are making the switch to organic shampoos, conditioners and other hair and even skin products. All organic products contain absolutely no toxins or chemicals that can be harmful not only to your hair but also your skin and body. Do not be worried about not finding many of the organic hair products. You will find a lot of them and some others at any major grocery store. And while making your own shampoo might seem very hippie, it is a great way to save a few bucks. Plus it gives you creative freedom to create your own scent. Just remember to take advantage of those tips to really give your hair the best nourishment it can get. It is time to get away from standard shampoos and conditioners, rather run to your local store and pick up some organic shampoo.